Friday, September 16, 2016

Raging Waters by Nada Adel Sobhi - Poem



The sea is high,
Fury runs in its veins.
The colour
Deadly beautiful,
Calling swimmers to their doom.

Anxious,
Angry
Are the waves.

"Rage forth unto these mortals!
Rise! Rise!
And show no mercy!
Let them know fear."

I can hear Poseidon howl
From the unseen depths

"Let them see and feel
Our mighty fury!"

The colour seduces me.
But I know better.

Even a mermaid
Would lay low
From the mighty king's wrath.

And yet,
I cannot keep my eyes off it;
Never seen this hue of deadly turquoise.

Schools of fish
Rooted in their place,
The current too strong
Despite their number.

The colour calls to me,
But the waves warn me.

'Not today, little one.
We have no control!'

The wind blows strong,
From all directions.
A sail boat would flip over,
None to survive.

No breeze,
Nor water spray,
But bellowing wind,
A scorching sun,
And a deadly wave
Drenches me from head to toe.

I will heed your words.

"Come mortals!
Face me!
Face your demons,
In my once clean waters!"   



Photo credit: Nada Adel Sobhi. Location: North Coast km 87, Egypt




Written Sunday, 14 August, 2016 at 2 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment